When a girl, be it a women of 40s or a little girl of 3 yrs old, takes a step outside of her home is not safe. We all are aware of the heinous act that took place in Delhi couple of days ago. And is it clear that our government is not going to amend the law with death sentence to the culprits, if there ever is going to by any amendment. In my opinion, death sentence to those 6 perverted-monsters or to any monster who commit such a crime of molesting/abusing/rape is an easy way out, too easy, they should be chopped or shot in public. Death sentence is for those who murder a person at once. But abuse is like murdering a girl again and again and any heart wrenching brutal punishment to such perverted monsters is less. Their faces should be shown in media every 5 minutes so that the family of the culprits can also suffer humiliation But to demand that I am going to take the help of social media. Here I want to have a talk about Self Protection & self defense.
When I was in 12th, my math tutor used to say to the students who used to drive, “When you drive, keep in mind that everyone on street is there to hit you. Then you’ll be safe”. I want to tell you the same, be scared, think that it’s not safe, because that’s the reality, It’s not safe anymore, not even the way to your nearest grocery store so the route to your office/college/school is out of the question. You can not rely on anybody to keep you safe, it is clear from the past year girl abuse statistics. Then what to do??
When you travel in an aeroplane, air hostess always gives a brief about the exit door, oxygen mask etc. For just in case. So that’s how I guess we all girls have to live in India from now on till… well till our law system is improved or till the rest of our lives.
I am not an expert and I am pretty sure that most of you must be already aware about the safety measures I am suggesting, And I am not implying that xyz girl could have avoided it if she’d only done/not done x. I also am not implying that you are not taking any safety measure. All I am trying to convey is when the world is filled with such heinous monsters and governing bodies are not taking this matter much seriously and when the police is failing to keep us safe, in this scenarios, just to ease up our minds, we have to keep few things in mind.
- Pepper spray- You all must know about it, But not every girl have it. You can buy it online or at some store of your city. but in case you can’t buy it, Then you MUST make your own pepper spray.
Make your own pepper spray:
Use your old, empty deodorant bottle (small one is better) or buy a small spray bottle, if it has a key chain than even better. Now make a solution of vinegar and red chilly powder (hottest chilly you can find), shake the solution than brew it to the bottle and keep that pepper spray bottle handy all the time, from stepping out to your home till you reach your destination. And by handy I mean in your Fist, not in bag.
Or you can just carry a deodorant spray, hairspray. It also works. but not as good as pepper spray. The effect of pepper spray lasts for hours.
- Join a self defense class or learn it on youtube. But do learn it. ( The Government should provide compulsory self defense training to every girl or the schools/offices/colleges must set up such compulsory classes).
- Carry a loud whistle in your hand when you are walking. If you find yourself in danger, blow the whistle. Do anything to attract attention and get help. (Do not depend entirely on an object such as a whistle or pepper spray to always be available in times of danger. they are fine – but no better than a loud yell.)
- Always be alert to your surroundings, Be cautious of strangers who approach you and ask for the time or for directions.Trust your Instincts, Always, Tell someone about it. If you see a stalker then do tell your parents and the police. DO NOT IGNORE IT.
- Do not stop if a car pulls up beside you. Get away from the car. Never hitchhike. Hold purses under your arm. Never expose cash or expensive items. Hide your jewelry.
- When possible, travel with a companion. ( I know after this Delhi incident, travelling in a bus is altogether unsafe. Lets just protest till those culprits are punished in such a way that no one will ever even dream about doing such a thing), when you see no passenger on a public transport, then avoid it if possible.
- Always carry a flashlight when it is dark. Try not to walk alone, Avoid poorly lighted streets, alleys, vacant lots and parking areas, Walk with confidence and always look up. Even if you don’t know where you’re going, walk like you know what’s going on and where you are. but try to walk on known paths.
- Walk on the side of the street where you face the traffic, I know it’s breaking the traffic rule but it’s much safer. You can see the approaching traffic.
- These days girls are not safe even under roofs, if you live in hostel/flat then make sure your door is locked when you sleep and when you go out. Always check your room first when you come back. Do not let any unknown person in your room.
- Always be cautions and doubt any and every person. Even your FRIENDS because there are so many cases where girls have been betrayed by there not only male but female friends as well.
- Do not let your personal details be in open on social networking sites.
If Someone Does Attack :–
- When grabbed from behind, Remember S-I-N-G (solar plexus, instep, nose, groin). Elbow the solar plexus, kick the instep real hard, bust the nose with the back of your fist and smash the groin.
- When someone tries to grab you from the front, then go for gouging the eyes, smashing the nose or Adam’s apple, kicking the knee, smashing the instep and the groin, hit with all the force you can muster, If other objects are available, use them to attack. Keys, umbrellas, a book , pencils, pens, a briefcase, and purse are all items that can be used to fend off an attacker. you may take him by surprise, and run like hell shouting and screaming.
- You know that knuckle gear guys use in fighting. (don’t tell anyone about it because I don’t know if it’s legal). You can keep it with you as well.
NOTE: As far I know, teaser guns are not legal in India. I Firmly believe it should be, and issued to the girls who applies, if she has to travel far or in deserted areas (or some valid reason) then it should be issued. (or you could just Google how to make one yourself)
Though I sincerely pray for the safety of every girl, my praying is not going to stop the perverts who commit such crimes, to stop them we need a much stronger and stricter law system and punishment, non bailable.
If you ever encounter even a smallest misbehave, always report it, because getting away from such small acts boost the confidence of a criminal and it leads to the disaster. Your complaint can save a life.
Always stand by the victim.
STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY.